NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Most of us have pumpkins that we've carved, but we always throw out the insides.
Christine Buchholz and Kristin Hark from Viva Fresh Pasta Co. in Northampton showed us how to make sure none of that pumpkin goes to waste with a recipe for pumpkin ravioli saute.
Pumpkin Ravioli Saute
- 1 sugar pumpkin (weighs 3 lb.)
- 2 tbsp ground cumin (toasted)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp ground chipotle spice
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- ½ whole lemon (halved & squeezed for juice)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (2 tbsp for roasting, and 2 tbsp for the actual filling)
- 1 tbsp salt
- ¼ cup ricotta cheese
Roasting the pumpkin and making the filling
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash & cut sugar pumpkin in half and remove guts/seeds. Cut each half again so that pumpkin is quartered. (4 pieces total)
- In a roasting dish, season the pumpkin with 2 tbsp of olive oil, salt, and 2 tbsp of brown sugar. Put in roasting pan with the skin side down.
- Cover with foil and roast in the oven for approx. 20-25 mins.
- When fully cooked, remove foil saving the juices. (to keep roasted flavor)
- Remove the skin from the pumpkin pieces and add to a mixing bowl. Then add all your seasonings listed above, including the lemon juice and the remaining 2 tbsp brown sugar.
- Once everything is well blended, set half of the mix aside and add ¼ cup of ricotta cheese to the remaining half.
(yield approx. 24 ravioli)
- 4 sheets (1 lb total) of fresh pasta
- 1-2 eggs (for egg wash)
- A measuring cup or cookie cutter
- 2 kitchen tablespoons
- The pumpkin / ricotta filling mix (from above)
- Using a measuring cup like a cookie cutter, cut out 12 circles from each pasta sheet to yield 48 pasta “disks” (2 for each ravioli)
- Quickly beat eggs in separate bowl and using a brush or basting tool, spread a little egg wash around the outsides of the circle disks. Using 2 spoons take about a
- tbsp of filling and place in the center of every other “disk” of pasta (24 total). Now place the other circle on top pinching around the outsides to form each ravioli.
Making the final dish
- Put a 12 qt. Pot of water on to boil
- Put a colander in the sink
- In a medium stainless or enamel saute pan, saute until pancetta is cooked and shallots are caramelized:
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced.
- 3 oz. Thick-cut pancetta (about ½ inch thick, and cubed into ½ inch pieces
- In a larger saute pan on medium-low heat, add 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chopped garlic and saute lightly
- Add the remaining half of your ravioli filling (the half that does not include ricotta)
- Add 2 cups heavy cream
- Chop and reserve 6 sage leaves for final garnish.
- Simmer and reduce slightly. Season with salt and pepper to taste to finish sauce