SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Every culture has it's own unique way of celebrating the holidays. Sal Circosta, the owner of Sal's Bakery and Cafe in Springfield showed us how to make some traditional Italian holiday dishes.
Uova in Purgatorio (Eggs in Purgatory)
- 1/2 lb Angel Hair pasta
- 1-2 Cups of basic tomato sauce
- 2 eggs
- Parmesan Cheese
- Crushed Red Pepper (optional)
- Simmer the pasta sauce in a small skillet.
- Crack in 2 eggs, cover and cook until the whites set;
- Top with pepper and grated Parmesan cheese
- Put Sauce and cooked eggs over pasta, serve.
Struffoli/Pignolata (Honey Balls)
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 1/2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 quart canola oil (for fryng)
- 1 (1 lb) jar honey
- Colored Nonpareil Sprinkles
- Handful of almonds
- Handful of Marciano cherries
- In a large bowl beat eggs, sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons oil until foamy.
- Gradually add flour and baking powder.
- Using your hands, mix and knead the mixture well, forming a dough.
- Knead the dough until smooth.
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface, and divide dough into 8 to 10 smaller balls.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a"rope" about a 1/2 inch wide, and 10 inches long.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each rope into 1/3 inch pieces.
- Dust cut pieces with a bit of flour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or deep fat fryer to a temperature of 375°F.
- Shake off excess flour, and fry the bits of dough (in small batches) until puffy and golden brown, do not crowd the frying pan or fryer.
- Remove each batch of balls with a slotted spoon and place on heavy brown paper (or paper towels) to drain.
- Continue frying until all the balls have been fried.
- Place drained, fried balls into a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the honey into a large frying pan, and heat until bubbly, remove from heat.
- Pour honey mixture over the fried dough balls.
- With a wooden spoon, gently stir and toss the balls until all are evenly coated with honey.
- Using hands, place honey coated balls on to a large plate, mounding them into a cone/pyramid shape.
- Sprinkle with colored sprinkles, and place cherries and almonds