CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Each season brings it's own recipes for us to look forward to and one thing is for sure, fall has plenty of seasonal, delicious dishes to choose from.
Chef Franco Dell'Olio is an ACF Culinary Arts Chef Instructor at Tantasqua Regional High School with a recipe for Walnut-Crusted Veal Chops with Caramelized Autumn Harvest Vegetables With Madeira Sauce, along with a Harvest Salad.
Walnut-Crusted Veal Chops with Caramelized Autumn Harvest Vegetables with Madeira Sauce
Veal Chops Ingredients:
- 4 (6-ounces) veal chop loin
- 1 ½ tsp balsamic vinegar
- ½ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup walnut, finely chopped
- 1 bacon slice
- Place chops in a shallow dish; drizzle with balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire.
- Combine salt, sage, and black pepper in a small bowl. Reserve ¾ teaspoon salt mixture.
- Add the walnut to remaining salt mixture; toss well. Press walnut mixture onto both sides of veal. Cover and refrigerate for 20/30 minutes.
- Cook bacon slice in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from the pan; crumble.
- Add veal chops to the pan cook 3 minutes on each side until lightly browned or until desired doneness.
- Remove veal from the pan cover with foil and keep warm.
For Caramelized Autumn Harvest Vegetables with Madeira Sauce:
- 1 butternut squash, peeled cut in 2-inch cubes and blanched
- 2 apples (Cortland) peeled and quartered with core removed
- 2 medium size white onions, sliced 1 ½ inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and cut in halves
- ¼ cup fresh sage leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup Madeira
- 3 tbsps unsalted butter
- In a large skillet heat olive oil on medium-high heat, add butternut squash, apples, onions, garlic, sage, salt and pepper.
- Sautee vegetables for 2 minutes cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove cover increase heat to high stir vegetables, add wine and reduce liquid. Add butter stir until blended.
- Serve hot.
Makes 8 servings
- 2 small turnips
- 1 head broccoli
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large parsnip
- Peel 2 small turnips; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Cut 1 head broccoli into flowerets.
- Peel and slice 2 large carrots.
- Peel and slice 1 large parsnip.
- Boil all in a lightly salted water for 3 minutes. Drain.
- Place in a serving bowl with 1 chopped sweet red pepper and chopped small red onion.
- Heat ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon light brown sugar, 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon each cayenne and ground cumin briefly in a sauce pan.
- Pour on vegetable; toss. Refrigerate overnight.