CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) -
1. There are so many breads on the market. Which brands are best?
The consumer group Center for Science in the Public Interest just rated breads. You want to look for those with 100 percent Whole Grain or 100 percent Whole Wheat to be sure there is no white flour in the bread.
A bread that simply says made with Whole Grain without the 100 percent, can be mostly white flour. Also be careful of the sodium content. Two slices to make a sandwich can add up to a third of your sodium budget for the day. Choose breads with less than 120 milligrams of sodium per slice.
Here are some of the breads that rose to the top when the consumer group made a comparison.
Best Regular Breads:
- Pepperidge Farm Stoneground 100% Whole Wheat
- Pepperidge Farms Whole Grain 15 Grain
- Roman Meal Multigrain or Sandwich bread
- Nature's Own 100 % Whole Wheat
- Wonder Soft 100 % Whole Wheat
- Arnold 100 % Whole Wheat
For Light Breads:
- All Brands of Light 100% Whole Wheat
- Fiber One 50 calories - Honey Whole Wheat or Multigrain
What are some deceiving claims? Ignore the claims that say Natural or High Fiber or even "made with 8 grams of whole grain". They can be misleading. Look for the "100%" in most cases.
2. Am I more likely to have hot flashes if I am overweight?
P. F., Internet
A study done by Kaiser Permanente found that women who dropped 10 percent of their body weight were 80 percent more likely to stop having menopausal symptoms, like hot flashes, compared to women who did not lose weight.
The researchers say that the extra weight simply makes it harder to get rid of the body's heat. So if you carry extra weight, and have hot flashes, cut back on fatty food and sweets or see a dietitian to help you find ways to drop a few pounds.