CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Eating healthy helps nourish the body and the brain, and September is Alzheimer's Awareness month. Tinky Weisblat, Author of The Pudding Hollow Cookbook, showed us how to make a healthy broccoli and apple salad.
Broccoli and Apple Salad
- 1 medium bunch broccoli, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 6 to 8 slices cooked bacon, crumbled (regular bacon, turkey bacon, or soy bacon)
- 2 small apples (or 1 large apple), cored and sliced (or cut into chunks if you prefer)
- 1 cup mayonnaise made with canola oil
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts or pecans
- In a bowl combine the first 7 ingredients.
- Whisk the mayonnaise, honey, and vinegar into a dressing, and toss it into the salad.
- Sprinkle the nuts on top just before serving.