CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - It's almost pepper season, and what better way to serve them than to grill them! Claire Morenon from Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture came on Mass Appeal to tell us how to make our own roasted red peppers.
Roasted Red Peppers
- Get grill hot and ready to cook.
- Place whole red peppers directly on your grill grate.
- Cook about 4 minutes on each side, until the skin is charred and the peppers are soft.
- Remove peppers to a covered bowl or a paper bag, and let them cool. This step steams the skin loose.
- Peel the peppers with your hands and cut out the seeds, core, and stem.
- You can slice, chop, or leave peppers whole. Frozen peppers defrost quickly, so this is just a matter of whether you want to do this work now or later.
- Freezing tip: freeze peppers flat on a cookie sheet and transfer to a labeled freezer bag when they are frozen. This keeps them from freezing into a block and enables you to remove just one pepper or just a handful.
Note on peppers: you can also roast peppers in your oven and follow the same steps as above, or freeze peppers raw. If you freeze them raw, you don't need to skin them. Use in soups, on pizza, in omelets, and anywhere else you would use roasted peppers!