CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - It's an inevitable part of the holiday season, family conflict. But how can you navigate your way through it and into a pleasant new year?
Rebecca Downing is a counselor and she gave us some tips to help us get through this holiday season.
- Take Turns with relatives
- Host the celebration if travel is to stressful
- Be prepared for conflict
- Sometimes you have to say NO
- Choose to be with friends instead of family
- Volunteer at a local food pantry or senior center
- Maintain good self care, get plenty of sleep, exercise, and don't abandon your daily routines.
Ways to Improve Communication :
- Stay focused
- Listen Carefully
- Try to see their "Point of View"
- Own what's yours
- Use "I" statements
- Respond to Criticism with Empathy
- Look for compromise
- Take a "time-out"
- Ask for help if you need it.