Welcome to Mass Appeal's Pet of the Week. Every Thursday, we'll introduce you to animals looking for a home from the Dakin Pioneer Valley Humane Society.
Candy Lash, Director of community and media relations for the Dakin Humane Society brought 6 parakeets that need homes!
Name: Bam Bam, Peep, Ricky, Marshmallow, Lucy Lou/Gio
Age: Adults/Gio is 2 years.
Sex: Male and Females/Gio is a male.
Budgies, also known as parakeets, are very social. In the wild, they fly free in large flocks with hundreds of birds! In a home, they need the company of other budgies as well as human attention. Bonded pairs of budgies, need to stay together for life. Families who adopt a bonded pair or group must commit to keeping them together and not to let them breed by removing eggs as soon as they appear. Gio came to Dakin separately from the other parakeets. As a single parakeet, he needs a mirror in his cage. Gio could be adopted with another parakeet housed in a separate cage. Eventually, they may be able to be housed together.
Parakeets are very active and playful. They need lots of room to fly either in a large enclosure or supervised area. The cages they are in for transport are not sufficient in size for long term habitats. We ask adopters to either bring in the cage they intend to use or a picture of it before we send birds home.
Budgies love to play games of chase, climb around, play with toys, eat soft wood and paper toys and they LOVE leafy greens. Give parakeets a bowl of salad greens and they will gobble them up. Greens are extremely nutritious. They need SAFE wood and chewable toys to keep their beaks and their minds occupied.
Parakeets can live 7 to 20 years with good care and a proper diet. Dakin can help you get off to the right start with parakeet pair or group. Budgies love to chat and twitter all day long. They are sure to bring a smile to anyone's face.
- DAKIN IS PARTICIPATING IN VALLEY GIVES , the e-philanthropy event next week that offers and easy way to support local charities. The top three nonprofits that raise the most money and/or have the most donors, will be rewarded with special grants of $15,000. Make your gift on 12-12-12 or schedule it in advance. For more information go to VALLEY GIVES or to Dakin's Facebook page or website. A really fun video is there for your viewing enjoyment.
- Holiday Shopping for Pets and People? Consider shopping at Diamonds in the Ruff – the Dakin Thrift Shop. All volunteer run. All proceeds benefit Dakin Humane and help the animals in our care. We anticipate $30,000 this year!
Pet Safety Tips
- No table foods, moldy foods, poultry bones
- No chocolate
- No grapes & raisins
- No alcoholic beverages
- Be careful with ornaments, ribbons & tinsel
- Holiday plants can be dangerous
Make these adorable animals the newest member of your family! If you're interested in adopting any of these adorable animals or want more information on any of the pets available at the Dakin Pioneer Valley Humane Society, you can call them at 781-4000 or visit www.dpvhs.org