CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - For the 2013 Gold Medal Flour Scratch Bakers Cookie Challenge at the Big E, contestants were asked to create a one-of-a-kind cookie! Rachelle Smola of East Longmeadow was a top finalist with her recipe for Glazed Fruit and Nut Jumbles.
Glazed Fruit and Nut Jumbles
Yields: approximately 5 dozen cookies
3 cups Gold Medal All-Purpose Flour
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup boiling water mixed with 1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup honey
1 cup peeled and chopped apple
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons milk
1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Sift dry ingredients together and set aside. Cream shortening with sugar and egg.
- Add the water and oat mixture, lemon juice, molasses and honey; mix together.
- Stir in flour mixture until completely combined. Next, add apples, walnuts and raisins; mix well.
- Refrigerate cookie dough until thoroughly chilled.
- Drop heaping teaspoonfuls of chilled dough onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Place baked cookies on a cooling rack.
For glaze, beat together cream cheese, vanilla, milk and confectioners' sugar until smooth. When cookies are cooled, drizzle cream cheese glaze over cookies and allow to harden.