CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - When terror hits close to home, it's hard to make sense of the situation and for parents, it's even harder to talk to your kids about something that you're still processing.
Clinical psychologist Dr. Tim Hope shared more about how you can help your family deal with this tragedy.
Tips to help your family/children deal with tragedy:
- Listen to your children's concerns
- Answer their questions with facts that are presented in language they can understand
- Reassure them that they are OK and you are OK
- Maintain their typical routines and schedules
- Limit exposure to news reports and video images of the disaster
- Reach out and connect with family and friends--we all could use some reassurance