CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Italian stuffed zucchini is a quick an easy side dish! Ann Macey is the author of Ann's Table for Two showed us how to make them!
Italian Stuffed Zucchini
400 degree oven
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 tsp. butter
- 2 T. hot water
- 1/2 C. chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. dry bread crumbs
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and steam in a microwave steamer on high for 5 minutes. Turn zucchini over and microwave for about 5 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes. Remove the zucchini pulp and set the 2 zucchini 'shells' aside.
- Place pulp in a medium mixing bowl and cut and mash with a fork and knife.
- Add butter, water, stuffing mix, cheese, and salt. Mix well with a fork.
- Pat the inside of the zucchini shells dry with a paper towel and fill with the pulp mixture.
- Place stuffed zucchini in an 8" x 8" baking dish that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.
- Sprinkle tops with bread crumbs and paprika then spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Bake in a 400° oven, on the bottom shelf, for 20 minutes. Serve hot.
NOTES: A grapefruit spoon or melon baller work best for removing the pulp from the zucchini. To prepare ahead: Assemble as directed, cover and refrigerate (up to 24 hours) until ready to bake.