SOUTH HADLEY, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - When you step up to the counter at your local coffee house and look at the menu board to order a drink, the task can be quite daunting if you don't know what you will be getting in your cup.
Fear no more! Josh Pearson from The Thirsty Mind Cafe in South Hadley is help to help decode the coffee lingo!
1. LATTE (LAA-TAY): 1/4 Espresso, 3/4 Steamed milk, & a little foam (milder & has milkier taste than cappuccino)
2. CAPPUCCINO: 1/2 Espresso, 1/2 steamed milk, stiff milk foam
3. MOCHA: Coffee + Chocolate
4. MACCHIATO: means "stained" or "marked". It is a shot of espresso with a "stain" or small amount of milk.
5. RED EYE: Drip coffee to which espresso is added
6. CHAI: chai is black tea that is brewed strong with a combination of spices and is diluted with milk and sugar.
7. CAFE BREVE (BREH-VEY): Coffee drink made with Steamed half and half and espresso. It is known for being rich and creamy..
8. ESPRESSO: is a concentrated coffee beverage brewed by forcing hot water under pressure through finely ground coffee.
9. AMERICANO: prepared by adding hot water to espresso, giving a similar strength but different flavor from regular drip coffee. The strength of an Americano varies with the number of shots of espresso and the amount of water added.
10. ITALIAN SODA: An Italian soda is a refreshing combination of flavored syrup and club soda
11. CAFE AU LAIT: Cafe au Lait is French for "coffee with milk".
12. SKINNY: Adding non-fat milk
*Add flavored syrups for a sweet touch!
If you're interested in giving one of the above a try, drop in at the:
Thirsty Mind Cafe
23 College Street
South Hadley, Ma 01075