SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Could your child do better in school? Attorney Michael Gove from the Law Offices of Cooley Shrair in Springfield, joined us to explain how we can help if your child is falling behind in school.
What should I do if I think my child is falling behind in school?
- See your pediatrician to determine if there are medical causes.
- If developmental issues are suspected, contact school district to request special education evaluation.
- Team drafts an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), which identifies child's strengths and weaknesses, sets goals and objectives to be reached, and determines a program of services designed to help the child reach those goals and objectives.
- If agreed to, the IEP is put in place and governs the district's provision of services.
- The IEP should be reviewed at least once per year, or when a change in the services may be required.
What steps can I do if my child isn't receiving the services in the IEP?
- Contact the district and get information regarding the provision of those services.
- If you confirm your child is not getting the services promised in the IEP, you should identify the missing services and outline your concerns in a letter to the district.
- If the district fails to respond to your concerns, you should speak with a special education advocate or special education attorney to help negotiate with the district, or to discuss the possibility of mediation or requesting a hearing with the Bureau of Special Education Appeals.
1380 Main Street
For more information call (413) 781 - 0750 or visit www.CooleyShrair.com.
About Cooley Shrair:
Cooley, Shrair P.C., founded in 1946 by Judge Sidney M. Cooley and Attorney Edward B. Cooley, is a progressive law firm located in Springfield, MA.
Cooley Shrair provides unequaled service to its clients. Our unparalleled response time to our clients' needs is the foundation of our mission statement.
At Cooley Shrair, family and business have always had a way of blending together. We know the importance of balancing the boardroom and the courtroom with the living room from time to time. We listen carefully to understand our clients’ concerns and work vigorously with them to develop strategies for success. It’s not just business, it’s personal.
We pride ourselves in being the most responsive lawyers in the area, covering virtually every area of practice for individuals and multinational corporations across the United States and Canada. Cooley Shrair is recognized consistently for exceeding client expectations and providing competent, integrated, and cost-effective legal services.
Our attorneys are each distinguished in their respective areas of concentration and are complemented by a professional support staff.
Cooley Shrair is a formidable opponent who fiercely advocates on behalf of our clients and we take pride in our commitment to provide unparalleled response and unparalleled solutions.
We’re a family, and to us, that's very personal business.
Promotional consideration provided by Cooley Shrair.