SOUTH DEERFIELD, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Official Mass Appeal Chef Greg Monette from Chandler's Restaurant in South Deerfield showed us how to make a delicious dish off their menu!
Beer Brined Roast Chicken or Turkey
- 4 whole 3 ½ pound chickens or one 10-12 pound turkey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into eighths
- 1 large orange, cut into eighths
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken or turkey stock, for basting
- Rinse and pat dry chickens or turkey and follow brining instructions below.
- Remove from brine after 8-12 hours, rinse and pat dry. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Toss vegetables, butter and herbs together and stuff birds. You may truss the legs together with twine or make small incisions in the skin flap outside the cavity to insert and secure legs.
- Roast in 325 degree oven, covering with aluminum foil should they begin to brown too fast, basting with juices or stock every 15 minutes.
Important: Use an accurate meat thermometer. It should read 32 degrees in a cup of half ice, half water or 220 in boiling water.
- 1 cup salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 oranges, quartered
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- To make the brining solution, dissolve the salt and sugar in 1 1/2 gallons of cold water and ½ gallon of good beer (a nice locally produced ale is preferable) in a non-reactive container (such as a clean bucket or large stockpot, or a clean, heavy-duty, plastic garbage bag.)
- Add the oranges, lemons, thyme, and rosemary.
- Brine for 8-12 hours in the refrigerator.
Note: if you have a big turkey and need more brine than this, use 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup brown sugar for every gallon of liquid.
About Chandler's Restaurant:
From traditional New England lunch fare to romantic candlelight dinners, experience extraordinary dining at Chandler's. This award-winning restaurant at Yankee Candle Village features a menu that changes regularly and one of the region's best wine cellars.
25 Greenfield Road
South Deerfield, MA 01373
It's a short drive, just take exit 24 off I-91 North.
To make a reservation call (413) 665 - 1277 today!