SOUTH DEERFIELD, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Official Mass Appeal Chef Greg Monette from Chandler's Restaurant in South Deerfield showed us how to make a delicious fish dish!
Crispy Veal Sweet Breads and Butter Poached Lobster
Crispy Veal Sweet Breads
- 8 oz. veal sweet breads
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Stalk Celery
- ½ an onion
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 T. peppercorns
- 1 T. Salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Canola Oil for frying 350 degrees
- In a large bowl or pot, soak the sweetbreads in cold water for 2 hours in order to clean them.
- Once the sweetbreads are clean place them in a medium pot with the remaining ingredients listed above and poach them for 20 to 25 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Remove the sweetbreads from the pot and press them between 2 pans with weight on top. Place the sweetbreads in the refrigerator and chill completely.
- Save liquid for potatoes (below) at a slow simmer.
- After the sweetbreads are chilled cut them into 1/2-inch slices.
- Season the sweetbreads with salt, and pepper, to taste and place in buttermilk, set aside.
Butter Poached Lobster
- 1 ¼ pound Lobster
- 2 gallons boiling water
- ½ pound butter, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 T. water
- Boil 2 T. water in small saucepan, stir in butter and melt over low-medium heat until it reaches 160 degrees and then some. Hold at above this temperature, do not go above 190.
- Cook lobster in boiling water for about 3 minutes just enough to loosen meat from shell. It will be mostly raw inside. Remove lobster meat and set aside.
- 1 Pound leeks, cleaned and sliced lengthwise, 4 inch thin strips
- 1 pound potatotes, peeled and sliced ½ inch thick circles
- Cook Potatoes in reserved sweetbread poaching liquid until just tender.
1 T. Tarragon & Parsley
Finish the dish:
- Poach lobster tail and claws in clarified butter approximately 5-6 minutes
- Coat Veal in breadcrumbs and fry in oil until crispy on both sides about 3-4 minutes, remember they're already fully cooked.
- Remove from pan and immediately toss leeks into same pan and lightly saute.
- Place potato slices on plate and top with lightly sautéed leeks followed by sweetbreads and lobster.
- Garnish with tarragon, parsley, a quick squeeze of the lemon and a drizzle of the butter from the lobster.
About Chandler's Restaurant:
From traditional New England lunch fare to romantic candlelight dinners, experience extraordinary dining at Chandler's. This award-winning restaurant at Yankee Candle Village features a menu that changes regularly and one of the region's best wine cellars.
25 Greenfield Road
South Deerfield, MA 01373
It's a short drive, just take exit 24 off I-91 North.
To make a reservation call (413) 665 - 1277 today!