CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Making pesto is a wonderful way to add a taste of summer to any dish! Leslie Cerier, The Organic Gourmet, showed us how to make some delicious cilantro pesto.
- 1/2 cup raw almonds, presoaked if you like
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, presoaked if you like
- 2 1/2 cups tightly packed cilantro leaves
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 tablespoons umeboshi vinegar
- Put the almonds in a food processor and grind to a coarse meal.
- Add the sunflower seeds and continue grinding until they too have a texture like coarse meal.
- Add the cilantro, garlic, water, and umeboshi vinegar and blend until almost smooth.
- Taste and adjust the seasonings if desired.
LESLIE'S TIP: It's great on any type of noodles, but especially delightful on Asian noodles, such as 100% buckwheat soba or bifun, quick-cooking clear angel hair noodles made from rice flour and potato starch. You may be surprised to learn that it's also a fabulous dip and pizza topping with sliced bell peppers, olives, and marinated dried tomatoes.