CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - If you're craving something sweet, but trying to eat gluten-free look no further. Writer, cook and photographer Nikki Gardner joined us in our Mass Appeal kitchen to show us how to make gluten-free chocolate chip cookie sandwiches!
Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches with Vanilla Frosting
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes 24 cookies
- ½ cup vegan butter (such as Earth Balance, softened)
- ½ cup natural cane sugar
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup plain or vanilla almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups King Arthur's gluten-free all-purpose baking flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ¼ cup flax meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 cup gluten-free chocolate chips (such as Whole Foods 365 brand or Enjoy Life)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugars until light and fluffy. Stir in the almond milk and vanilla and mix until smooth.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, almond meal, flax meal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring well to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
4. Combine all the ingredients from this jar in a large bowl, stirring well. In a small bowl, combine the canola oil, almond milk, and vanilla.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and stir to combine.
6. Drop by the tablespoonful onto prepared baking sheets. Gently press the cookies flat with the bottom of a glass and shape the edges into circles by hand.
7. Bake until slightly browned around the edges, about 15 minutes.
8. Let cookies stand on baking sheets for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 1/4 cup vegan vegetable shortening (such as Spectrum)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons plain or vanilla almond milk (as needed)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and shortening with an electric mixer on high speed until light and fluffy.
2. Add the sugar, almond milk, and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.
3. Continue mixing for about 2 minutes, until the frosting is smooth and stiff.
4. Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for 4 or 5 days.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches
Makes 12 sandwich cookies
1. Place 12 cookies top side down on a baking sheet.
2. Place 1 tablespoon vanilla frosting on each cookie. Top with remaining cookies to make sandwiches.
3. Store cookies in an airtight container, at room temperature, up to 5 days, or refrigerate, up to 1 week, or freeze, up to 2 weeks.