CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - It's what every parent looks for, quick, easy back to school lunch ideas for kids that are healthy, nutritious, and use local ingredients.
Devon Whitney-Deal and Deanna Cook who work with CISA (Community Involved in Sustaining Agriculture) , and Ella McDonald, Deanna's Daughter and co-cookbook writer, shared some delicious ideas.
Easy Kids' Lunches Made with Local Ingredients
- Peanut butter and honey sandwich made with local honey and bread
- BLT sandwich with local bacon, lettuce, and tomato
- Salad on a Stick with cherry tomatoes, carrot rounds, cucumbers and local ranch dressing as a dip
Makes about 5 cups of applesauce
- 12 medium local apples
- 1 cup water or apple cider
- 1/2 cup sugar, or less to taste
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- Wash, quarter, and core the apples.
- Place them in a large cooking pot and add the water.
- Over medium heat, cook the apples until they are nearly soft.
- Add the sugar and lemon juice.
- Cook the mixture for a few minutes longer, then run it through a food mill (or press it through a strainer or puree in the food processor).
For more information about how you can get involved in sustaining agriculture visit buylocalfood.org .