CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - Slow cookers are a great way to make an elegant meal easily. Chef Bill Collins is a Personal Chef and he showed us an easy way to roast a whole chicken in your slow cooker!
“Roasted” Whole Chicken in a Slow Cooker
- 1 4 - 5 pound chicken
- 3 - 4 carrots, peeled and cut in 4 pieces, length-wise
- 2 - 3 celery stalks, cut in 4 pieces, length-wise
- Approximately 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Remove the neck and giblets from the chicken. Rinse the chicken, and dry it with paper towel to remove any excess water.
- Spread the carrot and celery pieces in the slow cooker.
- Spread olive oil over the chicken, and sprinkle throughout with salt, pepper, and paprika.
- Place the cut onion into the cavity of the chicken, and place the chicken into the slow cooker.
- Squeeze the lemon over the chicken, and place the squeezed lemon halves into the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker, and cook the chicken on low, for approximately 6 hours.
The timing of the cooking will vary based on your slow cooker and the size of the chicken. It may be a bit more, or less, than 6 hours.
- If you’d like crispy skin on the chicken after it’s cooked, put the chicken in an oven-proof pan, and place it under your oven’s broiler for 5 minutes. Do not put it on the highest rack-level in the oven, or it might burn the chicken.
Yield: 4-6 servings