CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - It's summertime so why not keep your dishes light and refreshing? Sal Circosta, owner of Sal's Bakery and Cafe in Springfield, to show us how to make orecchiette with tomatoes and arugula and mascarpone stuffed figs!
Orecchiette with Cherry Tomatoes and Arugula
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 1 pint mixed red and yellow cherry tomatoes, quartered
- Cooked fresh orecchiette (approx. 2 cups dry)
- 2 cups fresh arugula, de-stemmed, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan reggiano
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat, adding garlic and shallots, sautéing until soft but not browned.
- Add chopped cherry tomatoes, cooking for just a few minutes, until they have softened but not completely lost their form.
- Add pasta, reheating it in the sauce and seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Add the arugula, stirring it until it has just wilted.
- Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan.
Mascarpone-filled Figs or Apricots With Amaretto
- 3 ounces mascarpone cheese or 3 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 6 fresh figs or 6 apricot halves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Amaretto or 1 1/2 tablespoons brandy
- Blend mascarpone, sour cream and confectioners' sugar in food processor until smooth.
- Cut deep slit in each fig; squeeze gently to open; spoon cheese mixture into each fig or mound on each apricot half; sprinkle with nuts, then cinnamon; drizzle amaretto over and serve.