CHICOPEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - St. Patrick's Day is just around the corner so we're making Irish themed recipes all week long! Chef Franco Dell'Olio, an ACF Culinary Arts Chef Instructor showed us how to make a delicious Tipsy Irish Cake Trifle.
Tipsy Irish Cake Trifle
Ingredients: (Serves 8-10)
- 1 Large Pound Cake
- 4 tablespoons Raspberry Jam
- 3 oz. Irish Whiskey
- 3 oz. Sherry
- 1 pint warm Vanilla Custard
- 12 oz. Heavy Cream, whipped
- 2-3 oz. Sliced Almonds, lightly toasted
- Ground Cinnamon for garnish
- Cut the cake into small cubes into a clear glass bowl and gently mix in the jam. Sprinkle the whiskey and sherry over the cake and toss gently to coat.
- Pour half the warm custard over the top of the cake, pressing down lightly for the custard to reach the bottom layers.
- Pour the rest of the custard over the top of the cake.
- Mound the whipped cream on top of the cake and sprinkle with the almond and cinnamon to garnish. Serve warm.
- 2/3 c. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 3 c. milk
- Mix in saucepan sugar, salt, cornstarch, and flour. Stir in gradually 3 cups milk.
- Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat.
- Slowly add 1/3 of the mixture and blend into the egg yolks. Then add back to rest of mixture.
- Cook 1 more minute over heat. Remove and add vanilla. Refrigerate after cooling down.