LEE, Mass. (Mass Appeal) - It's the perfect recipe to make during the holiday season! Klara Sotonova is the owner of Klara's Gourmet Cookies shared her Great Grandmother's recipe for Vanilla Walnut Crescents.
Vanilla Walnut Crescents
Recipe yields 3 dozen small cookies
- 1 Cup (2 sticks) Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp vanilla sugar (found in gourmet stores or online. If it cannot be found easily, use 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract.
- 1 cup Confectioners Sugar
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- 1 Egg (Large)
- ½ Cup Confectioners sugar for decoration
- In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla sugar (or vanilla extract) until smooth.
- Add the 1 egg until just combined.
- Combine the 2 cups flour and 1 cup confectioners sugar.
- Stir into the butter mixture until just blended.
- Mix in the 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- Remove dough from bowl. Be aware it will be sticky.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour or over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Remove chilled dough from fridge cut into quarters.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a long stick about the diameter of you pinky finger.
- Cut the dough "stick" into 1.5" long pieces and bend the pieces into a "horseshoe" or crescent moon shape.
- Place the "crescents" on to ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 8 minutes in the preheated oven. At the end of first 8 minutes rotate the pan(s) and bake an additional 8 minutes or until golden brown.
- When cool coat with remaining the confectioners sugar.