SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - A fire that surprised customers at a Springfield laundromat Tuesday may have been caused by residue left on some clothes that were being dried.
Dennis Leger, aide to the Springfield Fire Commissioner, told 22News that firefighters were called to the Laundromax laundromat at 315 Boston Road around noon time, for a report of a dryer fire.
There, witnesses told firefighters that a fire in one of the clothes dryers caused the glass to be blown out of its door.
The arson and bomb squad was called-in to investigate, and Leger says that they found the fire was most likely caused by flammable residue that was left on the clothes that were put into the dryer.
One woman inside the laundromat was taken to the hospital as a precaution, Leger said.