HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) - After 18 months without a single killing, the city of Holyoke is now investigating its second murder in less than a week and we've just learned the name of Sunday's murder victim.
A 34-year-old from Springfield is the latest homicide victim in Holyoke and now police are trying to figure out who's responsible.
Holyoke police are now investigating Sunday's deadly shooting behind a Cabot Street apartment, in which 34-year-old Juan Quinones of Springfield.
Five days earlier Holyoke's Danny Rodriguez was shot outside a Dwight Street home.
"I was just very shocked about it, these crimes that are going on have just got to stop. It's crazy," said East Longmeadow's Edwin Correa who spends time in Holyoke.
This weeks killings are the first in Holyoke in 18 months.
One thing residents say concerns them is both homicides happened in the daylight, but Mayor Alex Morse says residents should feel safe.
"These incidences were isolated and targeted. They are not random acts of violence against people in the city, mostly gang-related activity against individuals who were targeted for those incidences," Morse said.
Morse told 22News police have deployed extra officers to send a message to those who live in those neighborhoods.
Tahara Baldwin lives down the street, and says she's hesitant to even be outside.
"It is because I'm a single mother with two teenaged sons. So, that is a little scary letting them outside, I pretty much try to keep them in but it's hard when you've got teens," Baldwin said.
Holyoke Police Lt. Matthew Moriarty told 22News they have persons of interest but so far no arrests and that the two shootings are not related.
22News will continue to follow both investigations closely.