CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) - 88-year-old Anita Sabourin had lived in the same house in the Fairview section of Chicopee for the past 64 years until a fire at 2:30 Sunday morning destroyed her house at 44 McCarthy Avenue.
She survived the fire says her grandson, Matthew Sabourin, because of her quick thinking.
Sabourin told 22News, the smoke detector woke up his grandmother.
She tried in to put out the chimney fire herself. She left the house and then waved down a passing driver to call 911.
Throughout the day family members sifted through the ruins trying to salvage personal items accumulated during more than sixty years.
Anita Sabourin will stay with one of her three children who live in the Chicopee area.