TURNERS FALLS, Mass. (WWLP) - People living and working in the 11th Street area of Turners Falls had to be evacuated due to a gas leak in the area, firefighters say.
Chris Farrell of Berkshire Gas told 22News that a contractor had hit a two-inch gas main, causing a leak. Nearby homes were evacuated as a precaution.
Farrell says that crews have made a repair to the pipe, and the leak has been stopped.
Capt. John Zellmann of the Turners Falls Fire Department told 22News that people are being allowed back in the area.
Farrell said that the incident had happened while crews were doing routine maintenance and excavation.