SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - 22News was in Holyoke earlier this week when sparks from a passing train caused widespread brush fires on Mt. Tom.
Also on Sunday morning we now know that sparks from a passing train once again caused a massive brush fire here on Verge Street in Springfield.
The fire started in the woods near the railroad tracks and spread quickly because of dry trees and breezy conditions.
More than an acre of land was on fire.
Aide to the Fire Commissioner Dennis Leger told 22News the burning brush also forced the fire department to call Amtrak and have them stop their train while they worked to put out the fire.
Western Mass isn't expecting any substantial rain until Wednesday So 22News is working for you with some safety reminders.
-Always dispose of cigarette butts in an ash tray or a metal bucket.
-Never throw out a cigarette butt from your car while you're driving. Littering is illegal, and that cigarette butt can cause a fire.
-Outdoor cooking can also lead to brush fires, so be cautious and have a fire extinguisher handy.
Remember open Burning Season is now over and in cities like Springfield, Chicopee and Holyoke, open burning is never allowed.