SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - On Monday, the case of convicted murderer Charles Wilhite was reviewed at the Hampden County Hall of Justice to figure out what the government's next step may be.
"At this point in time, I'm not quite clear as to what their intentions are, but we're going to be asking the judge to release Mr. Wilhite, pending the government's decision whether they want to retry him or not", said Wilhite's trial attorney, William O'Neil.
Two years ago, Charles Wilhite was convicted in the murder of 28 year-old Alberto Rodriguez. Rodriguez was shot near the Pine Street Market back in 2008.
But last month, a judge found that there was no other physical evidence linking Wilhite to the killing--because two witnesses recanted their statements.
Wilhite's uncle, Edward Cage said he supports a bail hearing.
"I'm not opposed to [it] right now. I need him out so we can at least know freedom like he hasn't known since he's been incarcerated since this murder", said Cage.
But family and supporters of Wilhite says that they are tired of waiting.
"What is the purpose of holding Charles? He is not going to hurt anyone. He needs to come home; he needs to be with his children, how many days, how many holidays and birthday is he going to miss?", cried Wilhite's aunt, Vira Cage.
Wilhite is currently serving a sentence of life without the chance of parole.
His trial attorney says a bail hearing will take place on Monday, July 2nd.