SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - It seems like common sense; don't smoke near an oxygen tank.
In Ware Sunday, the State Fire Marshal determined a lit cigarette caused a woman's home oxygen tank to explode. No one was killed. 34 people have been killed since 1997 in Massachusetts fires involving home oxygen. That includes a woman who died in Westfield in February.
"We've had several fires with the people smoking with the oxygen tanks it's a big problem. I know the State Fire Marshal is very concerned with that", says Springfield Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant