LUDLOW, Mass. (WWLP) - A gas leak that caused evacuations and the shutdown of one of the major streets in Ludlow has been cleared.
Ludlow Fire Cheif Mark Babineau told 22News that Wednesday morning's gas leak was reported around 9:00 A.M. inside the former Boys and Girls Club at 12 Chestnut Street. Construction work is being done on the building, which is right in the middle of downtown Ludlow.
All the buildings around and connected to that one were evacuated by firefighters, and the patients in the Health South building nearby were moved to the opposite side for safety.
East Street, which is near Chestnut Street, had been closed from the Putts Bridge to the intersection of State Street since the gas leak started.
Ray Zorian, of the nearby Copy Dog Print Shop was concerned when he found out what was going on.
"The first thing I spotted when I came around the corner was, 'Hey! That's my building that they're surrounding!' I didn't know if their was a drug raid or what was going on, so it was kind of interesting," Zorian said.
Just before 1 pm, the streets reopened to all traffic, and people were allowed back into the evacuated businesses.