CHICOPEE, Mass. (WWLP) - Chicopee firefighters and gas company workers were called to a normally quiet side street Friday morning, due to a gas leak there.
Andrea Luppi of Columbia Gas told 22News that they were notified after a construction worker had hit a gas line near Mercedes Street in Chicopee Falls.
The Goonin family has lived near the excavation site for more than 70 years. Ann Googin is Impressed with the way that Chicopee firefighters and the gas company crew protected her family.
"He just came in with an instrument to check the gas in the house. To see If any gas smelled in the house and before he came in, a gas man came in the door and told us not to touch any electrical switches," Goonin said.
40-year gas company employee Brent Alexander was part of today's response team.
Earlier this year, the Pioneer Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross saluted Alexander as a Hometown Hero. He had saved the lives several co-workers by shielding them minutes before last fall's gas explosion in downtown Springfield.