SPRINGFIELD, Mass (WWLP) - People of all ages were cooling off at Forest Park's splash pad Tuesday evening.
Kevin Flemming, from Longmeadow, a father of three young children, told 22News this heat is difficult on the kids.
"We are doing our best to stay cool, get them out of the house into nice cool places. Take them to the movies, take them to the spray park," Flemming said.
Another family told 22News they stay cool by eating foods that are light and filled of water.
"Well, I drink a lot of water, eat a lot of fruits, and have salad," Glendennoi Grant, from Springfield, said.
Grant reminds her granddaughter to be safe when she is out in these 90-plus temperatures that we've had three consecutive days.
"If you go to a beach and just chill and drink lots of water so you can stay hydrated, make sure you have sunscreen so your skin can be protected from the sun," Leyoneish Windross, told 22News.
Western Massachusetts Electric Company has some advice to keep your home cool during this heat wave.
They recommend you put air conditioning window units in the shade and to shop for one that is energy efficient to save on cost and power. They also recommend to cook outside over a grill to keep the inside of your home cooler.
Some other tips WMECO offered are to keep your blinds, or shades, down during daytime hours to keep heat from the sun out. Keep windows closed during the hottest hours of the day, then open them at night, they said that should keep the temperature inside your home cooler.
If temperatures in your home are too hot, the following are cooling centers open in the Springfield area:
Wednesday, July 17
- East Forest Park, 122 Island Pond Rd., 1PM-8PM
- East Springfield, 21 Osborne Terr., 1PM-8PM
- Indian Orchard, 44 Oak St., 1PM-8PM
- Mason Square, 765 State St., 10AM-5PM
- Pine Point, 204 Boston Rd., 1PM-8PM
Thursday, July 18
- Brightwood, 359 Plainfield St., 1PM-8PM
- Forest Park, 380 Belmont Ave., 1PM-8PM
- Liberty, 773 Liberty St., 10AM-5PM
- Mason Square, 765 State St., 1PM-8PM
- Sixteen Acres, 1187 Parker St., 10AM-5PM
Friday, July 19
- Brightwood, 359 Plainfield St., 9AM-1PM
- East Forest Park, 122 Island Pond Rd., 10AM-5PM
- East Springfield, 21 Osborne Terr., 10AM-5PM
- Mason Square, 765 State St., 1PM-5PM
- Pine Point, 204 Boston Rd., 10AM-5PM