HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) - Eight people were forced out of a two-family house in Holyoke Monday, after a Christmas tree caught fire.
The fire happened just after noon at 187 Chestnut Street just after noon.
Holyoke Fire Lt. Thomas Paquin told 22News that the Arson Squad traced the fire back to an electrical outlet where the tree-lights were plugged in.
The second floor of the two family home was completely destroyed by the fire. The first floor experienced smoke and water damage.
House fires are more prevalent during the holiday season, because of all the decorations that can pose a safety hazard.
22News is working for you with tips on how you can protect something like this from happening to your family.
Experts recommend that you should inspect your light strings for:
- Cracked cords
- Frayed ends
- Loose connections
- Damaged wire insulation
- Broken bulbs and sockets
You should unplug your lights immediately if:
- They start to flicker.
- You smell something burning when you plug them in.
- The switch becomes hot.
Also make sure to never overload extension cords.
Experts also advise that if you have a real tree in the house, be sure to keep it watered.