INDIAN ORCHARD, Mass. (WWLP) - A shopping plaza in Indian Orchard was evacuated Thursday morning, after the odor of gas was detected following the opening of a manhole cover.
Dennis Leger, aide to the Fire Commissioner told 22News that fire and gas company crews were called to the area of Main and Myrtle Street around 10:30. Tests of the area around a manhole found heightened readings of natural gas.
Leger said that the Main Street Mini Plaza was evacuated just as a precaution. The plaza includes a daycare center, but all the children were playing in a nearby park at the time, and they remained there while crews did their work.
There is an ongoing construction project in the area, but Leger says that it doesn't appear that the leak was due to any sort of work accident. He said that there may have been some deterioration underground which was exposed due to the removal of the manhole cover.
Traffic, which had been blocked, is now moving again in the area in front of the plaza. Shoppers have also been allowed back inside, and the workers on the nearby road project have resumed their normal work.