SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - A warning from fire officials after an apartment fire Thursday night in Springfield.
Aide to the Fire Commissioner Dennis Leger told 22News a fire at 428 Berkshire Avenue was caused by unattended food on the stove.
Leger said the tenant of one of the apartments started cooking then went to a neighboring apartment for an extended period of time.
That tenant is being helped out by the Pioneer Valley Red Cross Thursday night.
Leger said that cooking accidents remain the number one cause of fires.