SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - The Melha Shriners came together Saturday night to help one of their own.
Peter Magagnoli and his family were sickened by a recent accidental mercury spill inside their Feeding Hills home. Their eldest daughter was in critical condition for a week, but is now doing well. The family lost all of their clothing and furniture, and the incident wasn't covered by homeowner's insurance. Peter told 22news he was touched by the fundraising support..
"We raise funds we treat the children, there's never any financial burden placed on the child regardless of his inability to pay. We're also a brotherhood and they've proven me this tonight in exemplary fashion," Peter Magagnoli told 22News.
"We've always been known to help another shrine member and we put this together in about a week and a half and we got 220 people who came to this benefit," Norman Peloquin told 22News.
All of the family is on medication now to remove the mercury from their systems. They had to spend more than 20,000 dollars to make their home safe to live in again.