The triangle where North Main Street, Shearer Street and Wilbraham Street meet is already a busy intersection. If a casino comes to Palmer, the volume of traffic could increase from 14 to 68 cars per hour. This is one of 10 intersections Mohegan Sun studied for their traffic plan.
Mohegan Sun expects 86% of its visitors to use the Massachusetts Turnpike to get to its casino. The other 14% is expected to use Routes 32, 20 and 181.
However, no matter what highway visitors use, without improvements, Palmer residents say the casino traffic could have a severe impact on their daily commute.
Check out the videos above to see interviews with Jennifer Baruffaldi of Citizens for Jobs & Growth in Palmer and Attorney Stephen Spelman of Northeast Realty on Mohegan's traffic plans.
Jennifer Baruffaldi from Citizens for Jobs and Growth in Palmer told 22News, "How they address the traffic issues will play a role in the margin of support in the referendum."
Mohegan Sun's proposed casino site is just a few hundred yards in front of Exit 8 of the Massachusetts Turnpike. Many residents told 22News that intersection already has some problems with traffic, especially during rush hour.
Robert Young of Palmer Businesses for a Palmer Casino said, "There is a lot of interest just for that because it's never been done before. There is some gridlock. There is some traffic tie up's due to its small nature. It needs to be improved anyway."
Monday night, Mohegan said they are still working with the State Department of Transportation on building a flyover from the Turnpike to the casino entrance, but they said they will definitely improve and revamp 10 local intersections.
Welcome news for people who use North Main Street, Thorndike Street and Park Street daily.
Stephen Spelman, an attorney who represents Northeast Realty, told 22News, "It works for everybody. It works for the people of Palmer, for people of western Massachusetts to make sure there is a really smooth flow into the casino and off the casino and to the sites the Northeast controls."
Northeast Realty is proposing to build a retail and hotel complex near the casino site.
Mohegan Sun representatives told 22News Monday night that MassDOT getting rid of toll booths and installing automated toll systems could affect their flyover proposals. So right now, the flyover is still a work in progress.