SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (WWLP) - Terrence Hanley was trapped in his third floor apartment at 41 Cass Street just before dawn Sunday morning when a Springfield firefighter rescued him from the burning building.
Hanley was among the three families made homeless by the fire which gutted the building in the city's Liberty Heights neighborhood. Hanley's at Baystate Medical Center where they're treating him for the smoke that got into his lungs.
The Pioneer Valley Red Cross disaster relief team quickly provided help to the families who no longer have a place to live.
They're being helped with food, clothing and a roof over their heads.
Dennis Leger, the aide to Fire Commissioner Joseph Conant told 22News, it looks as If the house is a total loss