HOLYOKE, Mass. (WWLP) - The Holyoke community is remembering a high school freshman Saturday night, who died in a fire at her home early Saturday morning.
Holyoke Fire Lt. Tom Paquin told 22News they believe the fire started near a woodstove at 28 Glen Street around 4:30. One woman and her dog were rescued from the house; she was taken to the hospital. Firefighters found a body on the second floor; family told 22News it was Hayley Hilton, who just turned 15 in December. Brittany Hilton remembered her sister for us.
"So smart and she had the best heart, said Brittany. "She cared about people with everything… smiling all the time no matter what she went through. She was always happy and she had the best heart."
Brittany said Hayley had just made the volleyball team this year. She loved to sing, she loved animals, and her mother was her best friend. The fire destroyed the home, and also injured a firefighter who had to be taken to the hospital.