NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) - In the last 12 years, 155 people have died from campus-related fires.
One of those fires took the life of a 21-year-old student in an off-campus housing complex in Amherst in 2003.
Tens of thousands of students are moving into the five-college area for the coming semester.
Ed Comeau publishes "Campus Fire Watch."
He says, dorms and off-campus apartments should be equipped with automatic sprinkler systems and smoke alarms. "The most common cause for fires, fatal fires, is the careless disposal of smoking materials. Most schools ban smoking which helps a lot, cooking is another real problem, certainly in the dorms and certainly off campus. "
Comeau also says halogen lamps, candles, and smoking are all fire hazards.