NORTHAMPTON, Mass. (WWLP) - Cooking is the leading cause of holiday fires.
The State Fire Marshal says they not only see a spike in cooking fires, they also notice more candle fires during this time of year.
State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan says a candle fire in Westhampton last December caused $100,000 in damages. Coan says the number one priority should be making sure your carbon monoxide and smoke alarms work. If you plan on cooking, don't leave boiling, frying or broiling food unattended. And you should burn candles a foot away from anything that can burn.
"My husband's father had passed away in a fire," Michelle Kibbe of Ware told 22News. "So my husband is very vigilant about fire safety and making sure candles are out."
Using LED lights to decorate, which are cooler to the touch can also keep your family safe this holiday season. For a complete list, click here .