AMHERST, Mass. (WWLP) - After all this flooding, many people could be dealing with water in their homes. It's very important to remove any wet items from your home and try to dry it out as quickly as possible.
Christine Rogers, a mold expert from UMass Amherst, said the best way to get moisture out of your home is to open up all the windows and bring in fans to help move the wet air outside. She said a wet vac can be very helpful when it comes to getting rid of standing water. It's also important to clean everything that got wet before mold starts to grow. "Wet surfaces, just detergent and water is the best approach, do as much as you can with that. Then take a bleach solution with one cup of bleach per gallon of water and wipe down surfaces."
Rogers said you should wear a N95 mask to protect yourself from mold. Make sure the mask is really tight on your face so the spores don't get in your system.