BOSTON, Mass. (WWLP) - The FBI has taken over the investigation into the bombings at the Boston Marathon finish line, it was revealed Monday night.
During a combined news briefing at the Westin Copley Place Hotel Monday night, Boston's Police Commissioner Edward Davis called the bombing a "horrendous event" and a "cowardly act."
Governor Patrick said Boston will be open Tuesday, but it will not be business as usual.
FBI Special Agent in charge of the Boston Division Richard DesLauriers said the FBI asserted federal jurisdiction through the Boston Drug and Terrorist Task Force.
"It is a criminal investigation that is a potential terrorist investigation," said DesLaurier.
Commissioner Davis confirmed that at least three people had died. "The number of injuries and the people injured is an unfolding issue. We will not have hard figures on that until tomorrow morning... We will turn every rock over to find the people who are responsible for this."
Governor Deval Patrick said the Army National Guard has secured several blocks near the blast area. "There is a criminal investigation going on, and there will be limited access to that area for the next day or two.
...Those who are riding the T can expect random checks of backpacks and other and other parcels. And we just ask that everyone be patient with that inconvenience for the time being. It is for the public's safety."
Commissioner Davis said, "I want to stress one thing: there is no suspect at Brigham and Women's Hospital. There are people that we are talking to, but there is no suspect as has been widely reported in the press."Both Davis and FBI Special Agent in Charge DesLauriers repeatedly emphasized that they would provide no specifics on an active investigation.
Commissioner Davis said authorities were continuing to comb through bags left behind but as yet, no additional explosive devices had been found.