BOSTON (AP) - Two Massachusetts residents have sued the New York Post, accusing the newspaper of falsely portraying them as suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings .
The lawsuit filed Wednesday in Suffolk Superior Court said photographs and articles published three days after the bombings made it appear that the FBI was pursuing 16-year-old Salaheddin Barhoum and 24-year-old Yassine Zaimi. The pair was featured on the front page under the headline "Bag Men."
The Boston Globe reports that the suit accuses the newspaper of libel, negligent infliction of emotional distress and invasion of privacy. It also alleges the newspaper subjected the friends to "scorn, hatred, ridicule, or contempt."
The plaintiffs are seeking unspecified monetary damages.
The Post had no comment Wednesday. An editor previously said the two were not identified as suspects.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.