NEW BEDFORD, Mass. (WPRI) - Police are saying a botched break-in led to an explosion on Monday morning.
The New Bedford Fire Department responded to a home on Richmond Street after residents reported smelling the odor of natural gas. When they arrived on scene, the fire crews heard a muffled explosion coming from a house.
Police said they believe somebody broke into the home in order to remove copper piping. They believe that the culprit cut into a steep pipe that fed natural gas into the gas water heater, which caused the gas to build up and eventually cause the explosion.
Police say area man Kevin Livramento, 46 or 47, of New Bedford, is their primary suspect in this incident. Livramento resides in the home directly behind the house that exploded.
He is currently at St. Luke's Hospital being treated for facial injuries he sustained in the explosion.
He will be charged with breaking and entering, larceny in a building and malicious destruction of property.
The house reportedly sustained major damage.