NEW YORK (CNN) - It's the time of year when the latest and greatest from auto manufacturers start to hit the road.
If you're in the market for some new wheels, keep some do's and don'ts in mind when negotiating with a dealer.
September brings a new season, a new school year, new t-v shows and it’s also when many of the latest auto models arrive in showrooms.
Navigating the auto buying process can be tricky, especially if you only do it once every few years.
Consumer reports recommend doing research before heading to the dealership:
- Identify the model, trim level and options that you want
- Get a good idea of what a good price is
- Round up quotes from a selection of dealers, and pinpoint the one that looks most promising
- Get pre-approved for an auto loan or if you'll finance through the dealer have a good idea of competitive interest rates
At the dealership, keep some do's and don'ts in mind:
- Don't buy unnecessary extras. Sometimes they'll be pre-printed on a sales contract, so read carefully
- Don't jump at the extended warranty. Know the vehicle's reliability record and weigh whether it's necessary
- Do bring a calculator to do your own math - and make sure the dealer's numbers match
- Do be prepared to walk out
Consumer reports say showing willingness to walk away can be effective in getting the deal and the wheels you really want.