BOSTON (WWLP) - Hundreds of people gathered to join the president in a prayer service dedicated to the victims of the Boston marathon bombings Thursday morning. The event was open to the public and had people lining up two blocks and around the corner from the Cathedral of the Holy Cross where the services took place in Boston's South End.
"My friends and I came down here because we are looking for an opportunity to participate in the community and to grieve and to be part of moving forward," said Courtney Jones, a student at Andover Newton Theological School.
Crowds lined up as early as 7 am to get a seat inside the church in time for the 11am service. Many hoped to catch a glimpse of the president and first lady.
"Michelle Obama and Barack Obama, I just want to see them, it's history, you know I've never been in their presence, so I just want to be in their presence right now," said Selecia Ross of Boston.
But everyone was there to show their unified support for the 3 people who died and more than 170 injured, many of whom are still recovering in Boston area hospitals. Folks who participated in Marathon Monday said that despite the attacks, they'll be back.
"It would encourage me to run more," said Mark Wilson, who witnessed the bombings after he completed the race.
"I've had friends say, you know I want to run next year, kind of just to show our support. I mean we'll have more runners next year for sure," said Matthew O'Brien of Sturbridge, who also competed in Monday's race.
Inside the church, interfaith prayer services brought together rabbis, cardinals, pastors, and members of American Islamic Congress. President Obama ended the ceremony declaring that Boston will run again.
Authorities have recovered a circuit board and the lid of a pressure cooker believed to be part of the explosive devices used in the marathon bomb blast. Governor Patrick is asking for patience in catching a suspect when it was falsely reported that someone had been arrested yesterday.