MISSOURI (CNN) - A student at a Missouri school learns the hard way just how flammable hand sanitizer is. It seems he wanted to try out a so-called party prank on an unsuspecting classmate.
There was some extra chatter as classes let out at Hocker Grove Middle School Friday about a potentially dangerous prank.
Inside the school Thursday morning before classes started, a 12-year-old student decided to try something. The student filled his hand with hand sanitizer, took a lighter and set it on fire and then threw it on another student.
The kid said he heard about it from an older student as a party prank and videos like this are all over YouTube.
The 13-year-old victim suffered some minor burns to his face. The school nurse checked him out and he visited the family doctor but was back in school by the end of the day.
Things are looking more serious for the accused attacker, booked into Johnson County Juvenile detention on aggravated battery charges. He'll face disciplinary action from the school as well.
Having worked with students, you know sometimes they don't realize the implication or the serious nature or they'll make an impulsive choice.
"Hello this is Scott Sherman, principal at Hocker Grove Middle School. I want to make you aware of an incident that occurred…" So the district sent out this phone message today telling parents what happened and asking them to talk to their kids about the dangers because like it or not kids can see so much more now.