Whether you're at a beach or your backyard pool, police are urging everyone to be more careful.
Drowning is the leading cause of accidental deaths during summertime, and the American Red Cross has tips for you and your family to stay safe:
- First, never swim alone; always use a buddy system and always swim in an area where there are lifeguards.
- Never leave children unattended. If you have a pool, put a barrier up so children do not accidentally fall into the pool or go in the water without adult supervision.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water. Yesterday on 22News at 6 a.m. we told you how important it is to stay hydrated.
- Even though we are not expecting oppressive heat today, it is still expected to get hot and humid later this afternoon.
- And if you're going boating, kayaking or canoeing, make sure everyone has life jackets on. That includes pets as well.
Later this afternoon, we're expecting strong thunderstorms in some areas of western Massachusetts, so
make sure you're indoors by this evening.