NORTH ATTLEBORO, Mass. (WPRI) - Despite several media reports early Friday morning, the magistrate at Attleboro District Court told Eyewitness News there is no arrest warrant on file for New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez.
Hernandez has been at the center of a national media storm since Tuesday, when police officers visited his home to question him about the death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd. Lloyd's body was found on Monday afternoon in an industrial park along John Dietsch Boulevard.
After several Boston media outlets cited sources that an arrest warrant had already been issued, Eyewitness News went to Attleboro District Court and spoke with Magistrate Mark Sturdy.
Sturdy said while there was no arrest warrant for Hernandez, there were three search warrants issued in the case. However, Sturdy said he could not provide details about those warrants.
Earlier Friday, WBZ NewsRadio 1030 cited a source that said a warrant was issued on a charge of obstruction of justice, but said charges could be upgraded as the investigation continues.
According to ESPN, the obstruction of justice charges stem from ABC News reports that Hernandez destroyed his home security system and that Hernandez handed his cell phone over to police in pieces.
As the investigation continues to unfold, so did multiple stories detailing Hernandez's questionable past.
Over the past 36 hours, it has come to light that Hernandez is currently the subject of a civil lawsuit that claims he shot a man in the face outside of a Miami-area strip club. Police reports also place him at the scene of a minor scuffle outside of a Providence restaurant, and going back to his college years at the University of Florida, he was also questioned by authorities regarding a 2007 shooting in Gainesville.
Since this saga began Monday, Hernandez hired a lawyer and became elusive with both the media and the police, speaking only once through his lawyer.
"It has been widely reported in the media that the state police have searched the home of our client, Aaron Hernandez, as a part of an ongoing investigation," said Hernandez's lawyer in a release. "Out of respect for that process, neither we nor Aaron will have any comment about the substance of that investigation until it has come to a conclusion."
Hernandez has been a member of the New England Patriots organization since 2010, totaling 1,956 receiving yards and 18 touchdowns over three seasons. He recently signed a five-year contract extension with the Pats worth more than $41 million.
The team had little to say about the ongoing investigation.